Black Velvet

Tuesday 30 December 2014

I absolutely love a black velvet look for Winter, especially Party Season. With New Years Eve right around the corner, the above photo of MK&A immediately came to mind. The Olsens are always chic but there's something about this picture that's really compelling. I love everything about it! They're the ultimate style inspo, so I decided to find more velvet pieces to add to my collection. In the process, I was aiming to find my NYE outfit. 

On Christmas Eve, I wore my Topshop velvet dress that I've owned for a few years. However, I knew I needed an updated look for welcoming in 2015! 
My Topshop dress has a touch of sparkle, so I was looking to divert away from that when seeking out some new styles. Boohoo.com came to the rescue with their amazing sale over Boxing Day weekend. I ended up ordering three dresses because I couldn't just choose one. A girl needs options, right? Anyway, the two shorter styles I chose are perfect paired with tights and ankle boots. A look I much prefer compared to heels. I like being comfortable and adding more of a grunge/rock 'n' roll edge to an outfit! One is very plain and simple but the other is a crushed velvet, with a high neck and scalloped hem design.
Laura Velvet Shift Dress boohoo.com
Cara Crushed Velvet Shift Dress boohoo.com

My other purchase is the ultimate in gothic glam. A velvet maxi! I love the thigh split on this too, dramatic and daring. This piece might possibly be the most dressy out of the three and as much as I love it, I think I prefer the shorter designs on myself as they're more flattering of my figure.
Kelly Velvet Long Sleeve Maxi Dress boohoo.com

Alongside looking to MK&A for inspiration, I browsed the net and Pinterest for other celebs and women wearing the trend. So here's a few favourites...

So there we have it, my NYE ootn should be sorted. I've got choices and what better way to enter a New Year than channeling an Olsen! They say how you start a new year sets the tone for the rest of it afterall....

Hope everyone has had a fabulous holiday season and best wishes for the New Year! 
Xx






2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the last photo, makes me want a black velvet dress now! x
    Shirley | Quartz and Roses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it definitely caught my eye! Can't go wrong with black velvet dresses in Winter :) x

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner